My True Followers

Monday, August 13, 2012

Day 25 Santa Cruz to Monterey CA

Here is my route for today.  http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/vSnSEsTJQkw

We were sad to say good-bye for a week to Jon, Danielle and our Grandchildren.  But we will see them in a week.

Luetta then took me to the location in Santa Cruz where I would have been if I had continued from Half Moon Bay, but the side trip was so much fun.  Here I am starting this day's trek.
My helmut is now improved with a large duct tape extended visor to help protect my nose from more sun burn,  I hope it works.  My face is well shaded in this picture.  This means there was sun in Santa Cruz.  By the time I got to New Brighton beach on San Andreas road the sun was gone.

The strawberry fields are prolific around here and today fog blankets them also.

I rode this route two times duing the Scout Camp we held the week before this bike trek started.  Here is the sign to Sunset Beach where we held our base camp.


At this camp we hiked the skyline to sea trail in the Big Basin Redwoods State Park in addition to biking back along this route we also kayaked in the Elkhorn slough.  Here is a photo of the seals we saw as we turned the corner to the slough.

In addition to biking this route this year with scouts I have done the whole Big Sur to Pismo Beach week long several times in past years with the scouts.  Here is the corner where one scout hit a patch of sand and got good road rash on his legs.  Guess who that was.


I was interested to find a road side stand where I and some scouts were introduced to Insanity Salsa.  I will always remember them tasting it on some chips and running out screaming for water.


As I entered the Monterey area I found the bike paths have been improved here is a section near Sand City that goes near the beach, it was very beautiful.

Luetta visited the Robert Louis Stevenson house in Monterey, but the inside was closed so she toured the garden only.

Another great day of biking.

1 comment:

  1. How is your duct tape visor working out? My kids would like to see a close up of it.

    ReplyDelete